Sunday, August 9, 2009

My 5:30 a.m. anti-Blues...It feels so good.




Sitting in the cardio-thoracic unit of the big hospital at 5:30 am gives me time to reflect on my day and get excited about upcoming events in the near future. "A" of all, you say, "Why is she in adult world?" No thanks to the nurse managers, they shipped me to B4/5 to sit for 8 hours. whoo-hoo.

Secondly, what pray tell, is to be excited about? Well, this weekend we are going to Iowa to celebrate Jana and Ben's nuptuals. I cannot wait to see my besties from college and probably eat some bacon and corn, eh? Directly from po-dunk Iowa (sorry jana) we are driving to LaCrosse for Amos and Steph's wedding. A large river, boat to carry us on said river with good friends, and booze to imbibe in...nuff said.

In a few weeks, things get really shaken up as I begin coursework for my nursing program and spend a weekend getting to know my classmates in Oshkosh! Sean's brother Greg is getting married in Detroit which is turning into a semester-long extravaganza. And concluding the wedidng tour '09 is the grand finale of driving to Colorado to climb mountains, get dressed up and play with friends...again.

So it is easy to see why I am excited about this fall, but interestingly enough, I am excited about the near future also. I came to the conclusion in my daydreaming here that working stretches of night shifts is sometimes like going for a long run. A funny comedian pointed out how ridiculous it is that runners say they do it because it feels so good...afterwards. I feel the same way about night shifts. I NEVER drift into sleep so quickly as when I am done with a loooong night's work. Even better though is the feeling of going to sleep in the morning and knowing that I have no obligation to return to the hospital for at least 36 hours. Other than the fact that I specifically work for moolah, I really do it because it feels sooo good...afterwards.

Now what the hell is that beeping?

1 comment:

bella1021 said...

you really should write a book of short sories-- or long stories too (i read the polar bear story)

gonna miss you girlie!!!

but can't wait to hear all the new stories that come up!