Tuesday, April 15, 2008

So it begins...


"What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy.
And joy is, after all, the end of life.
We do not live to eat and make money.
We eat and make money to be able to enjoy life.
That is what life means and what life is for."
-George Mallory



Why not? I have been having trouble grasping the reality of being an adult; paying bills, working 40 hour weeks, being responsible for my actions...all of them. Never again can I use the excuse of being an experimental college student. Even if I go back to school it will never be as easy. It is stressful to think of returning to school. The homework and studying that never ends, the outrageous costs of tuition, books and time taken away from paid work. Yikes!

But, why not? The alternative to growing up is dying. and that doesn't appeal to me either. So what can I do about these problems? I guess I can try to beat the depressing thoughts and win. I can work to live, and avoid the opposite. I can control the thoughts I allow to swim through my mind.

What I want is happiness. I want to love with every ounce of life I own, and I want love to always win. I want to succeed in everything I put my heart into. I want to eat ice cream and drink wine and not feel fat because of it. I want to live every moment deliberately. I want to wake up every morning with enthusiasm and wonder about the day to come, and go to bed every night feeling exhausted and fulfilled with the knowledge that I gave it my all this time. I want the people who surround me to have these same successes.

In order to succeed, does someone else HAVE to lose?
Is this all too much to ask?
After all is said and done, why not at least try?

1 comment:

bella1021 said...

why-- that is a pretty powerful blog post!! love it!!! gave me goosebumps!!!